Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Am I Really That Arrogant?

Greetings, and welcome to the first entry on my newly-created blog. I’d never even so much as considered writing a blog until just a couple days ago, when suddenly I decided that it seemed like a good idea. I’ve no idea why I came to that conclusion so suddenly. There was really no life-altering event that made me decide I should record some of my random thoughts for the sake of posterity. I guess I’m just in a mood to clutter up the Internet with more meaningless drivel. Congratulations to you, by the way, for finding it! I honestly have no idea how you would have ended up here, reading these words, and frankly, I won’t be surprised if I’m the only one who ever reads them. Oh, well.

So as I mentioned, I decided out of the blue that I should start a blog. I have a few friends who write blogs, and I guess they must enjoy it, or they wouldn’t continue. I don’t know if many people actually visit and read their blogs, but I suppose a handful of the gazillion daily Internet users out there probably end up finding my friends’ blogs. Anyway, I guess the idea of taking my own unimportant thoughts worldwide is appealing enough for me to give it a go.

As I’ve thought more about the idea of keeping a blog, though, it occurred to me that it’s really sort of arrogant to assume that anyone other than myself would give even half a hoot about my thoughts, feelings, observations, etc., on whatever random topic about which I decide to write on a given day. Why should anyone else care what I think? Yet I (like who knows how many other bloggers) have decided not to be dissuaded by that, and to chug onward with my bloggerific activities.

That begs the question, then: am I really that arrogant? Does my decision to go ahead and start a blog mean that I do, in fact, think that my thoughts are worth the time and effort it requires for others to read them? Do I believe that my blog will somehow improve the lives of others or make the world a better place?

I guess I must be that arrogant. I guess I must think my thoughts are that valuable and worthwhile. That’s sort of a weird realization… I’ve always considered myself a pretty down-to-earth, humble guy (then again, maybe it’s arrogant to think of myself that way; sort of like the line from Weird Al’s “Amish Paradise”: “I know I’m a million times more humble than thou art!”). That must mean I’ve had a skewed self image for all these years. Perhaps you’re thinking even now, “Yeah, you’re a pretty cocky SOB, Hibbard, and it’s about time you realized it.” I hope that’s not the case, but if it is, I’m sorry for being a cocky SOB.

I’ve had similar thoughts in the past—you know, wondering if I’m more conceited or cocky than I realize. My buddy Charlie and I are in a band (
Central Standard Time), and we play mostly music we’ve written ourselves. I’ve often thought it seemed arrogant of me to assume that other people would be interested in hearing me sing songs that I’ve written. As with the blog thing, though, I haven’t let those thoughts stop me from performing as often as possible. Arrogant? Well, maybe. In my defense, though, at least a small number of people do seem to genuinely enjoy our music, which is nice.

Ultimately, I suppose, the decision to write a blog or to write and perform music has very little to do with arrogance or with the audience (real or imagined). I think that most folks (myself included) decide to undertake such endeavors for the personal satisfaction and pleasure that it brings. I really like writing music, and I really enjoy singing and playing guitar. Charlie would probably tell you that I must enjoy writing long, meandering missives about nothing in particular (or anything I can think of at the time), and he could show you a very sizeable collection of old emails from me to back that up.

And so I’ll proceed with my blog. I won’t promise to be the most attentive blogger; I’ll probably write somewhat rarely, as I’m moved to do so. I hope you read my posts and enjoy them, but if you don’t… well, that’s fine, too. I’ll probably write them anyway.

Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home