Thursday, June 02, 2005

Danged newspapers, anyway!

I'm frustrated today. I look forward to Thursdays for a couple reasons. One of those is that the local newspaper's special entertainment section comes out on Thursdays. I really enjoy seeing live music, and am a fan of many local musicians, so I quite enjoy reading some of the stories pertaining to live music. This particular Thursday also happens to coincide with the first show of the Music in the Park concert series, put on each summer by the city of Coralville.

It just so happens that Central Standard Time, my own little folk duo (with my friend, Charlie), is playing one of the Music in the Park (MITP) shows later in the summer. Today I hopefully anticipated seeing our name in a riveting story about MITP. Well, my hopes were not realized. There was, indeed, a brief (and hardly riveting) story in the paper about MITP, but alas, no mention was made of Central Standard Time. A MITP schedule accompanied the story as a sidebar, but we were not listed on the schedule.

How frustrating! Our MITP performance could potentially be a pretty big deal for us. Anywhere from 300-600 people typically attend MITP, and the other group performing on July 21 (the date of our show) has a large local following. That means that we could potentially be reaching a large, new audience, which is no easy thing to do. Unfortunately, many people may not know that we're even playing now, due to the glaring omission in the aforementioned newspaper article. We're supposed to start at 6:00, versus the typical MITP start time of 6:30, so we may not have many people there at 6:00 to see us play. They might all show up around 6:20-6:30, expecting to see the other group, who won't actually play until about 7:20 that night.

Anyway, I'm upset with the whole situation. I sent an email to the author of the article, and I may have been a tad harsh. I don't think I was mean, necessarily, but my message didn't have a very friendly tone, either. I doubt she'll run a correction or anything, so I guess that's that. Hopefully enough people will pay attention to the MITP promotions, see that music starts at 6:00 that particular evening, and come hear Charlie and me play.

In the meantime, feel free to join us for any of our upcoming shows! We have 'em listed on our web site (
www.cstime.net), in case your interested. Au revoir!

Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home